I’ve been so busy the past weeks, events and shoots after one another that I didn’t had the energy to write about the event at all.
As usual this will be written as a personal experience rather than an event review.
I have the honor of being involved in this event for years now, either as an exhibitor or a judge. This year I was both and I was part of the program as well! It was crazy.
My cosplay plan for this event was layed out months before the event, but there were last minute changes!
Day 1: Original Plan
Since Chase and I were planning on doing Shingeki no kyojin anyway, we joined our other friends who were also doing the same series! This way we were almost able to complete the cast, pool our talents and resources to cosplay a series we all love.
I took the part of Christa! By the time i joined no one has taken it yet and I think my height is perfect for it. Although it was my choice, it took me a while to warm up to the character. I don’t see much Christa in myself you see. I’m more of a Levi or Ymir in personality. But I understand Christa better now. I like being Christa now. Although I think my version is the type to say : Goddess here, motherfuckers.
The journey to completing this group cosplay deserves its own blog entry, hahaha. I think it is the first time all of us tried a group this big.
Here are some snapshots from Jin and Chase’s phone of us working on our props.
Eh, weeks before the event I was asked to help out with the program. One of the Japanese guests you see, Goldy Marg, a pioneering mecha cosplayer decided to bring his EVA Test Unit and asked if anyone can be Rei Ayanami with him. He’d provide the costume. The organizers in turn asked me if I want to do it.
Why the hell not. Goldy is one hell of a craftsman. I’m sure just by being near his creation I’d learn a thing or two already! It’s an honor! I agreed but told them I’ll change in to Christa afterwards.
My only problem with our arrangement is I cannot fit the costume until he arrives in Philippines so the organizers agreed and scheduled a costume fitting for me the day before the event so in case there were problems with it or have to bring/buy special undergarments for the costume I’ll have time to prepare.
Unfortunately the day he was supposed to arrive, Goldy’s flight was delayed because of a storm and I had to leave already because I still have other appointments that day. I decided : YOLO let’s just get on with it and do this 8D (Bahala na si Batman mode)
7AM or so in the morning after setting up our booth I had to run backstage to get changed. That was when I was introduced to OrochiX and Goldy. The other guests, Vio, Pinky, Jesuke, and Vic were there too but we already know each other from the past Cosplaymania events so instead of introductions, pleasantries and “Kyaa!!! hisashiburii!!” were exchanged.
I was looking so stressed (no make-up and all haha!) that when I changed to Rei Ayanami, Orochi reintroduced himself to me. I wasn’t recognized :))
Here are backstage photos from day 1
Look at this. It’s my suit. And it damn beautifully made. (Photo by Yue-san)
Goldy-san helped me put on the armor parts of the plugsuit. I always wanted to be Rei Ayanami. Ijust didn’t forsaw that my costume will come from such an esteemed craftsman. This is my first cosplay where everything was made by somebody else.
So sorry I’m smiling! It’s just so hard to stay emotionless when everyone is in such high spirits! These two here are the lovely interpreters for this year (and the previous years!) Chelli and Nadia. Not in picture : Yue san.
Goldy-san , I’m trying to be serious here!
He’s a really spontaneous and fun guy. So hard keeping my emotionless state that day specially when he’s doing some antics!
With Vic, Jesuke, Pinky, Orochi and Vio~
Anyway, we spent much time idling backstage while waiting for our respective scheduled activities that day. Mine was just to assist Goldy during his Meet and Greet/Workshop with Orochi :)
Rei on standby! (Photo by Cosplaymania)
This is me watching and listening to Orochi and Goldy share their crafting secrets.
(Photo by Cosplaymania)
I gathered much new information and ideas from these two great cosplayers. I want to try making an armor based costume soon!!!
(Photo by Cosplaymania)
After the Meet and Greet we went backstage so I could change and I think Goldy and Orochi still have schedules that time.
It was backstage too that Goldy asked if I want to perform with him next day onstage. And I was like : We only have few hours to prepare tomorrow for a skit we didn’t plan but YOLO 8D Sure. It’s an honor, sir.
After confirming details with the organizers or tomorrow’s schedule I changed to Christa afterwards!
Day 2: Original Plan THERE WAS NO PLAN EVERYTHING IS YOLO
Jin and I decided to represent the Free!dom and went as Haru and Nagisa. Chase joined us as Rei. MakotoMiguel-chan was cosplaying as some sentai character that day. But because I said yes to Goldy’s invite I just changed to Nagisa afterwards. Always honor agreement with friends more than last minute requests from vips. )
I had an early call time again on day2. Since we had to rehearse and coordinate with the stage directors- even though our skit was so simple everything had to be ironed out. That’s Cosplaymania for you.
While we were rehearsing, sempai Reika-san was watching too and waiting for her turn to rehearse in front of the stage. To be honest that made me extra nervous, more nervous than the time we performed for real. I’m a huge fan hahaha! Sempai please notice meeeeeee.
After rehearsals, it was time to get dressed.
And take photos in between judging, official photo things etc
"…so, how about you help me runaway with this plugsuit? We’re friends, right?" I was trying to say to the one who took this snapshot via telepathy. We had to stay quite because the guests’ interview were being taped that time. Photo by Jin.
And it’s our turn! (Photo by Nadia-san)
This is us seconds before the stage opens and our skit starts. (Photo by Yue-san)
(Photo by kuya Robert) Maaaan this is so cool. Wish I had the helmet on. +LCL!!!!
Emote! Emote pa teh! Once a year lang yan!
Goldy demonstrating our height difference. Yes, yes I know.
(Photos by Steve Yan)
This was the part where I had to cover face because I can’t stop laughing anymore! Goldy kept on cracking jokes during the interview! And Rei’s supposed to be emotionless!
After this we went straight to pre-judging ToRCH Finalists backstage. After the photo ops with the finalists I changed to…
Nagisa! Here with Jin as Haru and Pinky as Petra~
And then I changed to Thugisa (google 50% off by Octopimp for reference). My tattoo sleeve is a gift from Rei-chan-san. No joke.
I helped a lady while on transit at the MRT. She doesn’t know which station to go down at, and she missed it (she’s supposed to go down at Cubao, but we’re already at Santolan, southbound). I carefully explained to her that she could go down at Buendia station, move to the other side of the platform so she doesn’t have to buy another train ticket. I told her to just go back.
We reached Buendia station and I reminded her how many stops it is from this stop to reach Cubao again.
She didn’t even look back at me. No thank you whatsoever. Not that I was expecting, I just thought that was odd.
Same day, I took a jeep to a friend’s place at night. A manicured lady with red highlights stopped a jeepney and because the seats are full this grungy looking man (looks like a very old construction worker) gave up his seat for her and stood up the rest of the journey.
No thank you whatsoever.
Humanity needs to go back to kindergarten.
When I’m at my boyfriend’s place, whenever the maids to little things for me like give a glass of water or make coffee I always make it a point to say thank you.
I say thank you every time, because these little things matter so much.
Day 9 and 10 : Shingeki no kyojin 20 day challenge
Day 9: Favorite Moment
Day 10: Guren no Yumia or Jiyuu no Tsubasa
I like it both. Guren no Yumiya is such an iconic song for us now but at the same time, I think (as a fan listening to Revo’s songs since Sound Horizon started) Jiyuu no Tsubasa is a better composed song compared to Guren no Yumiya. The later just doesn’t flow as smoothly as Jiyuu no tsubasa. And I like Jiyuu no Tsubasa’s drum tracks better.
This Shingeki no kyojin 20 day challenge is from this post. I started this as a countdown to Philippine’s largest cosplay event, Cosplaymania! 10 days left ^u^
I love the dynamics between this two. Irvin and Levi for me represents the dark and light wings of the Scouting Legion emblem. One is ruthless willing to sacrifice anything to get things done, and one is kind and get things done.
There has to be something more than a professional relationship between this two. After all, Levi was a rumored former thug who Irvin managed to tame and recruit for the Scouting Legion.
In a way it reminds me of my own love life too. *u* I can relate much to Levi and Chase has always been a smart, gorgaz fine piece of man in my eyes XD but that’s where the comparison ends, we don’t really kill titans or make human sacrifice!
Really fancy Mooncake from Mandarin Hotel. It comes in a fancy box, each containing four different fancy flavoured Mooncakes. It was sooooo gooood. This was from my boyfriend’s mom.
Then on two different days, his dad gave me a pack of special siomai. It was so good.
I love Chinese food. I really do. I really really do.
Being greeted with so much love have made me excited to see Bailey too. I greet her first now instead of my boyfriend whenever I visit their house.
I got sick. Again. And my cats were there for me. Always.
Joffrey teh cat seems to like my legs.
Sie sind das essen und wir sind die jaeger!!!!
Shingeki no kyojin ruined my life. I see titans everywhere now
Took a few photos of Marko from Adventure Team one night. He’s cosplaying Tiger from Tiger and Bunny. We “designed” a set by buying fast, junk food in a nearby convenience store, ate and threw things at the table. AWAAAAAAAAARD.
After a looooooooong day of meetings and work, I met up with friends at Tutto Domani. In an attempt to shake off my work mode (because I’m so tight sometimes) they made me read a very ridiculous book called “How to be a Vampire”.
I was dissing the whole book but in this photo I cracked up. The fashion section reminded me of how I used to dress up when i was younger. So ridiculous :))
From Charmie's phone. Konbini break. I think the employees of this branch are pretty much used to the weird by now :))
Spending whatever free time on weekends to do some props with friends recently. We gather in a friend’s workshop, claim whatever space there is (we’re a large group) and cut and glue the day away. It’s super super fun, specially because I’m with very interesting people.
So there was this one time I had to move farther in the workshop to make space for a couple of groupmates who just came in. I transferred my things and cleared the floor for me.
(The following pictures were taken after it happened and this is obviously re-enacted but just so you can get my story better!)
I noticed this plastic bag on the floor. Not wanting to damage whatever is in it and wanting more space for myself I decided to take a peek. If it contains trash and by products from our project I’m definitely throwing it in the name of working space. If not I’m going to give it to the owner.
So I sat down, lifted the plastic bag
and a f***ing bloody PAIR OF HANDS WERE IN IT. JFC. I think I made a very interesting face that time. I was really shocked
Ah. Cosplayer friends. The most resourceful and creative creatures you’d meet. This hand makes a wheezy sound and kinda smells like something nice (I already forgot).
And because I made a slight scene, and the owner of them hands claimed it they decided that the best thing to do next is to keep it in the fridge for the new comers to discover.
P.S. They made a video https://vine.co/v/hhenQqFHVBb
if irvin fucking dies i swear on EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE I LOVE I WILL NEVER BE OK EVER AGAIN I SWEAR TO FUCK IF THEY KILL OFF IRVIN I WILL FUCKING GO TO JAPAN FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF KICKING HAJIME ISAYAMA’S GENIUS FUCKING ASS AND I WILL FORCE FEED HIM ALL HIS MANGA PAGES UNTIL HE BRINGS MY BABY BACK TO LIFE
I kept a tab at this event simply because the activities looked interesting. They were building a giant robot, a mini Tokyo Tower and I had no idea who the organizers were so I got curious. With cookie cutter events popping almost every month I decided to give this event a try.
I first learned sewing and pattern drafting via various experiments (clothes alteration, taking apart clothes to see how it was done) and reading tons of books and tutorials online. This knowledge of course was then polished when I attended fashion school.
That phase where I mostly DIY-ed garments for myself built my dress making instinct which I think is an advantage especially for DIY costumes. This is why in my lessons I’ll try my best to teach you theory and instinct.
In order for me to smoothly teach you how to make cloth costumes, we’d need to learn how normal clothes are constructed and in this lesson we’ll discuss theories and terminologies first before diving in to sewing an actual garment!
Of course, my tutorials would be cloth costume centric. I’m new to armors so you have to find a different teacher for that.
This is the (my) usual process in making DIY costumes:
1. Decide which character and costume to make. Usually this is love at first sight for me.
2. Analyze the costume’s form or silhouette - what style it is (Sailor collar shirt, circle skirt, ball gown dress, swallowtail coat etc) so you know what kind of pattern to draft.
3. Draft costume pattern on paper.
4. Trace pattern to cloth, cut, sew, fill in details.
Vocabulary of the Week
Silhouette is a fashion term which refers to a garment (costume or “normal” clothes) overall outline and shape. Usually for current fashion these are predetermined per season or we deal with “regular” silhouettes (avant garde and couture not included :P).
But because we’re dealing with costumes here, the silhouettes we’d discuss ranges from since the beginning of clothes to 2000 years from now, Western and Eastern and Alien styles all depending on which Universe your chosen character came from. It’s crazy, and I love it.
Jojo’s Bizarre World. And their questionable taste in clothing…
Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail and her Kimono inspired outfit (Robe of Yuen, my personal fave!)
And another personal favorite, Sinbad from Magi :Labyrinth of Magic. I swear this series is not hentai. This character just often gets robbed of his clothes.
We will discuss silhouettes intensively, in another post the next few lessons.
A pattern is a paper or cardboard template of parts of a garment which are then traced onto the fabric, cut, and then sewn. This is basically the blueprint of your costume.
For example, these straight shapes which we draft in paper
are the parts that make a 1670’s Dragoon Coat (Image from http://www.kismeta.com/)
(Image from http://www.kismeta.com/)
I will teach you more about this in the (near) future but for now here are additional reads:
One thing you need to know before we start pattern drafting is that humans belong to the animal subregenum Bilateria, which means our bodies are divided in left and right halves, each half having what the other got except for some special organs.
We are symmetrical creatures. But please tell me you don’t have another heart at the right chest.
This state of approximate symmetry our body have should always be considered when drafting flat patterns. Though this isn’t always true in fashion, what’s on the left should be on the right applies to making your base pattern.
This is a bit far fetched but if you have time maybe you can read about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man
I’m squeamish. There, I said it. And I am scared of worms and other creatures that resemble it in real life or fiction. You shouldn’t even dare jokingly throw one in front of me because I will either cry or punch you in the balls (after crying).
When Chase asked if I wanted to watch Prometheus I immediately agreed. I thought: hey I love post-apocalyptic, political stuff! Sure! That’s what it is based from the movie poster right?
I didn’t know it was Alien prequel.
When I was a child, Alien’s mini facehugger traumatized me so much. So imagine my terror when as an adult I had to watch a Supersized Me version of it. I had to pour myself 10 liters of mind bleach.
Yesterday, my boyfriend who wanted to distract and cheer me up asked if I wanted to watch World War Z.
I thought it was about war with aliens or North Koreans. Buti na lang gwapo si Brad Pitt.
So I wanted to try this series called hatarakou Maou-sama. I’ve been hearing about it, and they say it’s hilariously good. Unfortunately the copy I got had Spanish subs. So fine, maybe I can understand a bit since it’s anime, it’s Japanese anyway.
Knowing your body measurements matters a lot in getting a good, desired fit- whether this is for everyday clothing or for cosplay. This is the very basic of basics. Your body measurement is what you will need to construct a sloper - a paper pattern you will use to construct a garment or costume fit for YOU.
I’ve excluded some measurements which can be discussed as we progress. I do not want to overwhelm you with information YET so this really is just basic.
If you can’t get through this, I’m afraid you’re not cut for tailoring. So I beg you, please read thoroughly before asking questions. Focus.
This measurement guide is for women’s clothes by the way. We will discuss men’s measurements next lesson.
Before we start here are a few things I want to remind you of:
1. if you’re going to use body modifiers such as fake pecs and abs, shoulder pads to extend your shoulders, fake breasts, triple padded bras, super platform shoes, Spanx or another kind of shapewear - anything, anything that modifies your natural body shape and height- wear it when having your measurements taken. This way your costume will be tailored around your expected outcome.
If you plan to wear a padded DD bra but had your measurements taken in your natural A cups, the costume won’t fit. Obviously.
2. Wear as little as possible. I will need you to stick tape markers to your own skin.
3. You cannot take your measurements alone. No man is an island and you can’t reach every nook and cranny of your body. Get a slav, eh, friend to help you with this.
4. Get your measurements every 6 months. That’s a good way to check if you’re still fit, too :)
5. Measure in front of a full length mirror if possible.
Things you need:
1. Pen and Paper, for writing down your measurements, DUH.
2. Elastic band, as a marker for your waist.
3. A friend. Or your nanny. Or a slave, whichever works.
4. Body modifier if you plan to use any.
5. Masking tape, or any kind of tape you can stick to your skin temporarily.
Ready? Let’s start
1. Front Shoulders : measure from the tip of your front left shoulder joint to the right. This should be a straight line.
2. Back shoulders : taken from the back, measure from the tip of your left shoulder joint, pass through the name and then to the right joint. This should make an arc, your nape being the highest point of that arc.
3. Shoulder length : Measure from the base of your neck (where your shoulders meet your neck) to the tip of your shoulders.
4. Front chest : This is a horizontal measurement between your armpits. Put one end of your tape measure at the the tip of your armpits and measure in a straight line to your other armpit. Usually this is 3 inches down your neck seam and it should not exceed your shoulder measurements. If it does you might be a very unique person or an alien.
5. Back Chest : Back horizontal measurement between your armpits
Next, cut a very small tape and put it 1 inch below your left and right armpits, in line with your side seam (where you think the center of your side is, see green line in photo below. In this photo I was raising my arms so it looks like more than 1” below my armpits but its not, ok.)
6. Front Body Width: Measure from the front the width from left First marker(1” below armpits) to the right.
7. Back Body Width: Measure from the back the width from the left first marker to the right.
8. Bust points: The horizontal measurement from one nipple to another! Couldn’t explain it much simpler than that!
9. Bust point position: Measure in a straight line from the base of your neck (where your shoulders meet your neck) to your bust point
10. Bust circumference : the biggest circumference of the upper torso passing your two bust points. So ladies, this is your boobs generally. For men’s, we will discuss this in the next lesson.
Note: When taking this measurement, make sure your tape measure is perpendicular to the floor. if your tape measure slants there’s a high chance that the measurement you took is smaller than the actual bust size.
Get your elastic band and tie it around the smallest part of your abdomen. your waist is NOT where you position you low rise jeans. Your waist is THE SMALLEST part of your abdomen, OKAY? We usually need to take different waist measurements, depending on the garment we need to produce BUT for this tutorial we’re sticking with waist as the “smallest circumference of your abdomen. Get it?
Put a piece of tape to mark the middle of your front waist. This is usually in line with your navel.
Put a piece of tape to mark the middle of your back waist. This is usually in line with your spine.
11. Waist: Using your elastic as a guide, measure around your waist. Make sure that the tape measure is perpendicular to the floor.
12. Center Front Length : Measure from your center neck (just a tiny bit above the center of your collarbone) to your center front waist (Third Marker)
12. Center Back Length: Measure from your center nape to your center back waist (Fourth Marker)
13. Full Front Length : Measure from your high shoulder neck point (that junction where your neck meets your shoulders) down to your waist. As usual, use your waist elastic as a guide for this,okay?!
14. Full Back Length: Measure from your back high shoulder neck point down to your waist.
15. Side Seams : Measure from your first marker to where your side’s waist, again using your waist elastic as a guide.
16. Front Shoulder Slope: Measure from the tip of your shoulders to the center front of your waist, and use the third marker as a guide.
17. Back Shoulder Slope : Measure from the tip of your shoulders to the center back of your waist, and use the fourthmarker as a guide.
18. Neck : Measure around your neck passing the nape (just above the highest and most prominent spine bone/vertebrae) and a little above the collarbones like in the photo below. Please take note of the slanted way the tape measure should be placed.
19. Armhole : Measure around the shoulder ridge passing through your first marker (1” below the armpit)
20. Armhole Depth : Measure from shoulder tip to the first marker. This is a vertical measurement and because your marker will be covered by your arms, you have to estimate where it is approximately located.
21. Over arm measurement: Measure from the tip of your shoulders to your wrist bone.
22. Under arm measurement : Measure from an inch below the armpits to your wrist bone.
22. arm circumference : measure around the widest part of your biceps.
23. Wrist : Measure around your wrist, where your wrist bone is.
There are actually 3 kinds of wrist measurements but just so we don’t overwhelm you right now, we’ll stick with the basic.
24. High Hip : circumference 4 inches below the waist. Make sure your tape measure is perpendicular to the floor when taking this measurement.
25. Hips : approximately 8-9 inches below waist, measure around the widest part of the buttocks.
That is it for now~ I want you to familiarize yourself with each body parts and how to get its measurements properly so I don’t have to repeat myself on the next lessons I’ll be posting.
Some other requests :
1. Please don’t re upload this to a different site! Just link to my tumblr please and/or reblog.
2. Do not claim this tutorial as your own. If you do, you are a pathetic no life, delusional vermin of society.
3. Read and try to comprehend thrice before leaving me a question to answer.
4. I will reshoot this with better photos and a video too just in case photos are not enough.
5. Levi is my spirit animal. While I haven’t shot better photos for this tut, Levi’s head will rest on my body, DEAL WITH IT.