Knowing your body measurements matters a lot in getting a good, desired fit- whether this is for everyday clothing or for cosplay. This is the very basic of basics. Your body measurement is what you will need to construct a sloper - a paper pattern you will use to construct a garment or costume fit for YOU.
I’ve excluded some measurements which can be discussed as we progress. I do not want to overwhelm you with information YET so this really is just basic.
If you can’t get through this, I’m afraid you’re not cut for tailoring. So I beg you, please read thoroughly before asking questions. Focus.
This measurement guide is for women’s clothes by the way. We will discuss men’s measurements next lesson.
Before we start here are a few things I want to remind you of:
1. if you’re going to use body modifiers such as fake pecs and abs, shoulder pads to extend your shoulders, fake breasts, triple padded bras, super platform shoes, Spanx or another kind of shapewear - anything, anything that modifies your natural body shape and height- wear it when having your measurements taken. This way your costume will be tailored around your expected outcome.
If you plan to wear a padded DD bra but had your measurements taken in your natural A cups, the costume won’t fit. Obviously.
2. Wear as little as possible. I will need you to stick tape markers to your own skin.
3. You cannot take your measurements alone. No man is an island and you can’t reach every nook and cranny of your body. Get a slav, eh, friend to help you with this.
4. Get your measurements every 6 months. That’s a good way to check if you’re still fit, too :)
5. Measure in front of a full length mirror if possible.
Things you need:
1. Pen and Paper, for writing down your measurements, DUH.
2. Elastic band, as a marker for your waist.
3. A friend. Or your nanny. Or a slave, whichever works.
4. Body modifier if you plan to use any.
5. Masking tape, or any kind of tape you can stick to your skin temporarily.
Ready? Let’s start
1. Front Shoulders : measure from the tip of your front left shoulder joint to the right. This should be a straight line.
2. Back shoulders : taken from the back, measure from the tip of your left shoulder joint, pass through the name and then to the right joint. This should make an arc, your nape being the highest point of that arc.
3. Shoulder length : Measure from the base of your neck (where your shoulders meet your neck) to the tip of your shoulders.
4. Front chest : This is a horizontal measurement between your armpits. Put one end of your tape measure at the the tip of your armpits and measure in a straight line to your other armpit. Usually this is 3 inches down your neck seam and it should not exceed your shoulder measurements. If it does you might be a very unique person or an alien.
5. Back Chest : Back horizontal measurement between your armpits
Next, cut a very small tape and put it 1 inch below your left and right armpits, in line with your side seam (where you think the center of your side is, see green line in photo below. In this photo I was raising my arms so it looks like more than 1” below my armpits but its not, ok.)
6. Front Body Width: Measure from the front the width from left First marker(1” below armpits) to the right.
7. Back Body Width: Measure from the back the width from the left first marker to the right.
8. Bust points: The horizontal measurement from one nipple to another! Couldn’t explain it much simpler than that!
9. Bust point position: Measure in a straight line from the base of your neck (where your shoulders meet your neck) to your bust point
10. Bust circumference : the biggest circumference of the upper torso passing your two bust points. So ladies, this is your boobs generally. For men’s, we will discuss this in the next lesson.
Note: When taking this measurement, make sure your tape measure is perpendicular to the floor. if your tape measure slants there’s a high chance that the measurement you took is smaller than the actual bust size.
Get your elastic band and tie it around the smallest part of your abdomen. your waist is NOT where you position you low rise jeans. Your waist is THE SMALLEST part of your abdomen, OKAY? We usually need to take different waist measurements, depending on the garment we need to produce BUT for this tutorial we’re sticking with waist as the “smallest circumference of your abdomen. Get it?
Put a piece of tape to mark the middle of your front waist. This is usually in line with your navel.
Put a piece of tape to mark the middle of your back waist. This is usually in line with your spine.
11. Waist: Using your elastic as a guide, measure around your waist. Make sure that the tape measure is perpendicular to the floor.
12. Center Front Length : Measure from your center neck (just a tiny bit above the center of your collarbone) to your center front waist (Third Marker)
12. Center Back Length: Measure from your center nape to your center back waist (Fourth Marker)
13. Full Front Length : Measure from your high shoulder neck point (that junction where your neck meets your shoulders) down to your waist. As usual, use your waist elastic as a guide for this,okay?!
14. Full Back Length: Measure from your back high shoulder neck point down to your waist.
15. Side Seams : Measure from your first marker to where your side’s waist, again using your waist elastic as a guide.
16. Front Shoulder Slope: Measure from the tip of your shoulders to the center front of your waist, and use the third marker as a guide.
17. Back Shoulder Slope : Measure from the tip of your shoulders to the center back of your waist, and use the fourthmarker as a guide.
18. Neck : Measure around your neck passing the nape (just above the highest and most prominent spine bone/vertebrae) and a little above the collarbones like in the photo below. Please take note of the slanted way the tape measure should be placed.
19. Armhole : Measure around the shoulder ridge passing through your first marker (1” below the armpit)
20. Armhole Depth : Measure from shoulder tip to the first marker. This is a vertical measurement and because your marker will be covered by your arms, you have to estimate where it is approximately located.
21. Over arm measurement: Measure from the tip of your shoulders to your wrist bone.
22. Under arm measurement : Measure from an inch below the armpits to your wrist bone.
22. arm circumference : measure around the widest part of your biceps.
23. Wrist : Measure around your wrist, where your wrist bone is.
There are actually 3 kinds of wrist measurements but just so we don’t overwhelm you right now, we’ll stick with the basic.
24. High Hip : circumference 4 inches below the waist. Make sure your tape measure is perpendicular to the floor when taking this measurement.
25. Hips : approximately 8-9 inches below waist, measure around the widest part of the buttocks.
That is it for now~ I want you to familiarize yourself with each body parts and how to get its measurements properly so I don’t have to repeat myself on the next lessons I’ll be posting.
Some other requests :
1. Please don’t re upload this to a different site! Just link to my tumblr please and/or reblog.
2. Do not claim this tutorial as your own. If you do, you are a pathetic no life, delusional vermin of society.
3. Read and try to comprehend thrice before leaving me a question to answer.
4. I will reshoot this with better photos and a video too just in case photos are not enough.
5. Levi is my spirit animal. While I haven’t shot better photos for this tut, Levi’s head will rest on my body, DEAL WITH IT.
Follow me :
I made a facebook page for my cosplay stuff , so I can separate my personal account from the not personal one. Also, will be spamming my tutorials here instead :)
Please “Like” me. Hahahaha :))
Boy, this was a real bitch to make.
D: I like a lot of anime and manga genres! I prefer serious stories though like Ghost in The Shell, Samurai7, Psycho-pass. I veer away from anime that focuses on panty shots and boobs that can dodge bullets (・∀・) . Though I still watch senseless and fanservicy anime like K project and Utapri.hihihihi <3
Most of my favorites are by Production I.G.! It really helps when the animation is so good *u*
As for cosplay, I have different reasons! Sometimes I have a huge crush on a character, sometimes I can relate to him/her, I find the design so challenging that I want to make the costume or I’m in a group and this character fits my height and look best. No matter what the reason I ALWAYS have to be a fan of the series first though.
Cosplay is so expensive and time consuming so I’ll only do it if I like the series . Otherwise putting effort in a character you don’t understand is stupid and disrespectful to fans of the series you are cosplaying from. :>
Your question [Good fantasy themed anime that isn’t popular] was really hard for me to answer so I asked for the help of my friends~
Adz says you should try this one.
The Legend of Legendary Heroes
Bernard suggests Mouryou no Hako
Yue-san says try:
Mahou tsukai ni taisetsu na koto
Seirei no Moribito
And Jyuuni Kokuki
As for me I’m currently watching recent anime like Hatarako Maou-sama, Red Data Girl, Shingeki no Kyojin and Devil Survivor. :D I like either serious plots or senseless fanservice-y anime with really good art and animation hahahaha! I hope this helps!
1. Where he hides his p0rn. To be fair, mine’s in a folder called “rainbows and sparkles” which you can access through the Documents folder. It’s all in manga form though. I can’t with videos.
2. He’s a troll sometimes. Like a Voldemort in beautiful bishounen clothing.
3. If he was a girl he’s the type I can be gay for.
4. He knows and understands me better than I do.
5. “I’m in love with you not because you love me, but because I love who you are”.
He makes me feel like I’m in a shampoo commercial : Ang haba haba ng aking hair *hair flips*
You know anon, it took me so much time thinking about a good anime that isn’t popular. You see, all good anime I’ve watched and can recommend were/are popular hahaha! You’d have better luck finding manga with good story than a good anime that isn’t popular, I think.
Check out Red Data Girl and Karneval! These are recent anime that I think needs some more love. Karneval is kinda…fancy though if you know what I mean. Tell me about stories you like so I can recommend you better titles!
What’s your preference? Shounen, shoujo, etc?